Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"New York Signifier," cont'd

There's a disappointing lack of Engrish-like language on signs and whatnot here in Turkey; I blame the education system, frankly, and (locally) the cosmpolitanism of our campus (where, for those turning in late, all classes are conducted in English.)

Nevertheless, one thing I do notice increasingly is the number of students with t-shirts that have [American Signifier] written on them: "CALIFORNIA" in big block letters across three lines, say, or "NEW YORK." In this way, I guess they're the equivalent of our Chicago students carrying around Strand bookstore bags. (And, yes, I did see one of these in Turkey--I probably shouted in glee a bit much, bit it felt like home.)

Anyway, today brought the oddest t-shirt yet: a young man wearing a shirt that said "Baseball Caps," underneath which were rows of baseball caps. I'm concerned that there's a concept here that I'm missing, as there was with the "100% Pure Virgin" Absolut-styled shirt that I saw on a young man earlier this year.

Oh, and there's a Dockers store in the mall, for those of you concerned I might lack access to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment